Works under the supervision of the Surgery Services Director and OR Clinical
Care Supervisor. Assists in patient care activities as the primary scrub
person who handles the instruments, supplies, and equipment necessary
during the surgical procedure. Has an understanding of the procedures
being performed. Maintains the sterile field during surgical procedures.
Performs other duties as assigned.
PRIMARY JOB DUTIES
- Scrubs all surgical services provided at CCMH.
- Identifies and assures that physician preferences for surgical supplies,
equipment, and instruments are ready for each case.
- Maintains principles of aseptic technique.
- Performs technical skills in accordance with hospital policy and procedure.
- Performs “on-call” duties.
- Provides service excellence to all customers.
- Orients new personnel to job duties.
- Maintains professional standards related to clinical practice, staffing
and continuing education.
- Practices fiscal responsibility and accountability.
- Actively participates in hospital committees, CQI teams, and Quality Improvement Program.
- Maintains a clean and safe environment.
- Performs proper sterilization technique on instruments/equipment.
- Adheres to CCMH policies and procedures.
- Complies with the hospital’s Corporate Compliance Program including,
but not limited to, the Code of Conduct, laws and regulations, and hospital
policies and procedures.
- Must be free from governmental sanctions involving health care and/or financial
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: High school graduate or GED, graduated from surgical technologist program.
Must have current Healthcare Provider CPR or Red Cross Professional Rescuer
certification within 31 days of employment.
Experience: Experience as surgical technologist preferred.
Essential Technical/Motor Skills: Hand/eye coordination, fine and gross
dexterity, able to speak clearly.
Interpersonal Skills: Ability to work staff and physicians. Able to communicate
positively during stressful situations,
Essential Physical Requirements: Requires standing or walking for long
periods of time, holding retractors. Able to lift 50 lbs. Requires stooping,
reaching, pushing, and pulling.
Essential Mental Abilities: Able to prioritize multiple details simultaneously.
The ability to recall from memory the required instruments, procedures,
and correct sequence of instruments for a variety of procedures. Able
to speak, write, and understand English. Able to respond to instructions quickly.
Essential Sensory Requirements: Corrected vision, hearing to normal range.
Able to communicate in an environment where surgical masks are worn.