Diagnostic Imaging Tests Preps
A technician will call you to discuss your exam and the following instructions:
- No solid food for 4 hours before your exam. You may, however, drink water to stay well hydrated prior to your exam.
- If you are taking blood thinners, please refrain from taking them for 3 - 7 days prior to your exam. The technician will give you specific instructions.
- You may continue to take all other prescribed medications as directed by your physician, including pain medication.
- If you are diabetic and take Glucaphage, please do not take the Glucaphage for 48 hours after the IV contrast study. Please consult your physician for further instructions.
- If you are allergic to iodine or any other medications, please inform your physician and the CCMH staff. Your doctor may want to pre-treat you with a medication before your exam.
- Please bring a list of your medications with you to your exam.
- You should bring a responsible adult who will be able to safely drive you home. You will need to limit your activity for the rest of the day.
- Please wear comfortable clothing that do not contain metal or zippers, such as sweats. Patient gowns are available if you need to change.
Arthograms, Hysterosalpingograms, Cystograms, Venograms, Sialograms
- Please eat a light breakfast or lunch prior to your exam as some people experience slight nausea.
- A barium study should not be scheduled the same day as any of these exams.
Upper GI and Barium Swallow studies:
- If you are scheduled for a morning exam (before 12 noon), please do not eat or drink anything after midnight, with the exception of your medications that can be taken with a sip of water.
- For afternoon exams, please do not have anything to eat or drink at least three hours before your appointment time.
Lower GI Series (BE), Kidney studies (IVP)
- The day prior to your exam, your diet should be restricted to only clear liquids if possible.
- You will be instructed by your physician to either take Golytely (a bowel cleansing prep), or come to the Radiology Department a day or more before your exam to obtain a bowel cleansing Prep Kit you need to use the day before your test. The Prep Kit has specific instructions on how to use it.
- Please do not eat or drink anything after midnight prior to your exam.