According to the
American Academy of Pediatrics, fireworks can result in severe burns, blindness, scars, and even death.
Fireworks that are often thought to be safe, such as sparklers, can reach
temperatures above 1000 degrees Fahrenheit, and can burn users and bystanders.
The AAP recommends that families should consider attending community fireworks
displays run by professionals rather than using fireworks at home.
However, if you must shoot fireworks off personally, check out these few
tips provided by
Safe Kids Worldwide:
- Do not wear loose clothing while using fireworks.
- Never light fireworks indoors, or near dry grass.
- Point fireworks away from homes, and keep them away from bushes, leaves
and flammable substances.
- Stand several feet away from lit fireworks, and if one does not go off,
put it out with water and dispose of it.
- Always have a bucket of water and/or a fire extinguisher nearby when shooting
It’s important that you know you should closely supervise children
around fireworks at all times. If your child is injured by fireworks,
immediately go to your
urgent care or
Be sure out check out Fireworks: The Blinding Truth put together by the
American Academy of Ophthalmology, and
review their safety tips here.
Campbell County Government has passed some fireworks resolutions for 2017.
Check them out here
Hollie Stewart, MD practices at Campbell County Medical Group
Pediatrics in the
Main Clinic on the south side of Campbell County Memorial Hospital. Call 307.688.3636
for an appointment. Learn more at