In February, the Campbell County Health Well Life Squad put out a call
to employees to send their favorite recipes to Registered Dietitian
Jamie Marchetti for a cleanup your recipe contest. The Squad received six, and of those,
Jamie selected three to clean up and then make available for you to test
out yourself. Check them out below.
If your recipe didn’t make the cut, make sure you check out Jamie’s blog,
Improve your recipes with some simple swaps, to see how you can make it healthier on your own.
Entrée: Penne and Smoked Sausage
Serves: 6. Total Time: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
2 cups uncooked penne pasta –
Health Tip: use whole wheat pasta
1 pound Smoked Sausage Rope, cut into ¼ inch slices (recipe calls
for Johnsonville Fully Cooked) –
Health Tip: use turkey sausage and remove the meat from the casings
- 1 and ½ cups 2% milk
1 can (10 and ¾ ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted –
Health Tip: use a low sodium variety
- 1 and ½ cups cheddar French-fried onions, divided
- 1 cup shredded, part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a large skillet, brown sausage over medium heat for five minutes; drain.
In a large bowl, combine milk and soup. Stir in ½ cup onions, ½
up cheese, peas and sausage. Drain pasta, stir into mix.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9 inch baking dish. Cover and bake for 25-30 minutes
or until bubble. Sprinkle with remaining onions and cheese. Bake, uncovered,
for 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
View original recipe online:
Side: Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip
Total time: 20 min. Serves: 20.
- 2 (10 ounce) cans chicken
2 (8 ounce) packets cream cheese –
Health Tip: Opt for Neufchâtel cheese
- 3⁄4 cup hot sauce (such as Frank's)
- 1 cup ranch dressing
2 cups mild cheddar cheese –
Health Tip: Choose reduced fat cheese
- 2 loaves baguette
- Drain canned chicken and put in medium sauce pan.
- Add hot sauce and cook on medium until heated throughout.
- Add cream cheese and stir until blended thoroughly.
- Add ranch dressing and mix.
- Add 1-1/2 cups of cheddar cheese and heat for a few minutes until mixed
- Pour the dip into the crock pot and sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese
on the top. Keep heated on low.
- Serve on baguette that has been sliced and toasted; it is also tasty on
View original recipe online:
Dessert: Sour Cream Banana Cake
- 1 ½ c sugar
½ c butter or margarine softened –
Health Tip: replace with equal amount oil for a healthier fat
- 2 eggs
½ c. sour cream –
Health Tip: replace with equal amount full-fat plain Greek yogurt for less
fat and more protein
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 med bananas mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 c flour
- ½ c nuts (pecans or walnuts)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F, grease and flour 13x9 cake pan. Mix all ingredients
together. Bake 30 minutes. Toothpick should come out clean.
Jamie Marchetti, MS, RDN, LD, is a Registered Dietitian at Campbell County Health. For
a one-on-one nutrition counseling session, call 307.688.1731. Learn more at
The CCH Well Life Squad promotes the importance of health and wellness
to their colleagues and peers throughout the organization. For more information, contact
Rachel Wilde at 307.688.8051.