Maternal Child Unit Increases Security Measures
Dec 18, 2012
GILLETTE, WY – Campbell County Memorial Hospital’s (CCMH) Maternal Child Department will increase their security by controlling access to the units via doorbell and a Maternal Child employee will then “buzz” the visitor(s) into the respective area. Access for employees will also be restricted. Appropriate employees will have badge access and the remainder of the employee population will access the unit with the doorbell system. The Maternal Child Department includes Labor and Delivery, the Nursery, and the postpartum or inpatient OB/gynecological areas.
The current visiting policies are:
At any time in the Maternal Child Department employees and physicians have the responsibility to request limited or no visitors for the safety of the mother and infant.
- Labor and Delivery limits visitors to three which includes the mother’s spouse or significant other
- Nursery limits access to mother and spouse or significant other
- Postpartum area doesn’t restrict the quantity of visitors (unless a restriction is in place for flu or other illness) it does request visitors adhere to their daily quiet time from 2-4 p.m. This time is designated for mom/baby education and rest.
Visiting restrictions are in still place on the Maternal Child and Labor & Delivery units due to an increase in influenza cases in the community.
Kath Belding, Interim Maternal Child manager has vast experience with newborn safety and security systems in a variety of hospital settings, and has encouraged the implementation of elevated security at CCMH since joining the team. Kath understands the frustration this change may cause but “encourages well wishers and the baby’s families to consider this a minor inconvenience for the safety and security of the baby”. The security system becomes effective Wednesday, December 19, 2012 at 6:30 a.m.
- No visiting by children under the age of 12.
- Each patient may have two visitors at one time (excluding mother’s spouse or significant other).
- Labor & Delivery – two visitors at one time (excluding mother’s spouse or significant other).
- Every visitor must wash their hands and wear a mask while visiting.