Open Accessibility Menu

Firework safety for children

  • Posted On:
Firework safety for children

According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, fireworks can result in severe burns, blindness, scars, and even death. Fireworks that are often thought to be safe, such as sparklers, can reach temperatures above 1000 degrees Fahrenheit, and can burn users and bystanders. The AAP recommends that families should consider attending community fireworks displays run by professionals rather than using fireworks at home.

However, if you must shoot fireworks off personally, check out these few tips provided by Safe Kids Worldwide:

  1. Do not wear loose clothing while using fireworks.
  2. Never light fireworks indoors, or near dry grass.
  3. Point fireworks away from homes, and keep them away from bushes, leaves and flammable substances.
  4. Stand several feet away from lit fireworks, and if one does not go off, put it out with water and dispose of it.
  5. Always have a bucket of water and/or a fire extinguisher nearby when shooting off fireworks.

It’s important that you know you should closely supervise children around fireworks at all times. If your child is injured by fireworks, immediately go to your doctor, urgent care or emergency department.

Be sure out check out Fireworks: The Blinding Truth put together by the American Academy of Ophthalmology, and review their safety tips here.

You can find a complete list of events in Campbell County, Wyoming here:

The Campbell County Medical Group Pediatric Clinic is in the Main Clinic on the south side of Campbell County Memorial Hospital. Call 307.688.3636 for an appointment. Learn more at

  • Category: Campbell County Medical Group Kid Clinic, Campbell County Medical Group Pediatrics, Campbell County Medical Group Walk-In Clinic & Occupational Health, Emergency Department, Emergency Medical Services, SafeKids Campbell County