The stores have started to play Christmas music. Children are dropping
hints on what they want for Christmas. And, some of us may be making holiday
party/travel plans. We are all preparing for the holidays at this time;
and in some cases, parents get more stressed, kids get more excited, and
money gets tight very quickly.
We all want our holidays to be flawless but with all the stress that is
associated with them, we normally have a fight or two in the family. It’s
important to take a deep breath and work on staying focused on what’s
most important during this season-family. Here are some ideas for stress
relievers and family bonding that will help both parents and kids enjoy
- Have a cookie party-make a mess, invite friends over, do it pot luck style
and reduce the financial strain.
- Let the kids make presents-a painted hand on a piece of paper is fun to
make and sentimental to boot!
- Make holiday dinners together as a family-even the little children can
help set the table or other small tasks that help make them feel included.
- Go sledding or make a snowman.
- Write New Year Resolutions together.
- Watch favorite holiday movies together.
- Write letters to Santa together.
- Hop in the car, grab some hot coco and drive around town to look at the
- Make a meal together based off a holiday movie or book.
- SPend time coloring holiday books, or draw and color.
Make your own Christmas ornaments, check out some examples in
- Last but not least, focus on family traditions that help remind you of
the holidays and happy memories.
No matter what you celebrate during this time, have a joyous holiday season
and remember to take a deep breath every once in a while.
Brianne Wooldridge is a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) in the Campbell County Medical Group
Kid Clinic. The Kid Clinic is a school-based pediatric clinic offering medical care
and counseling services for Campbell County students in pre-kindergarten
through 12th grade and their siblings ages 2 weeks and up. It is located
at 800 Butler Spaeth Rd., across from
St. Matthew’s Catholic Church. The Kid Clinic is open Monday-Friday from 8 am-5 pm. For more information,
call 307-688-8700 or visit
www.cchwyo.org/kidclinic. The Kid Clinic is a collaborative effort between Campbell County Health and
Campbell County School District.